[Cryptography] Hacking spread spectrum clocking of HW ?

Jerry Leichter leichter at lrw.com
Fri May 27 06:58:37 EDT 2016

>> In the US, for example, even amateur radio operators otherwise allowed
>> to do way more than the general public aren't necessarily allowed to
>> transmit spread spectrum outside certain spreading codes.
>
> Australian amateurs are allowed to use SS (and I have) provided the
> authorities have been notified of the spreading code (which sorta defeats
> the purpose);
Depends on what you think the purpose is.  If it's to communicate through noisy channels, or just to experiment to improve or even just personally understand the technology, or to provide a public service - then it's within the ambit of the amateur services, at least as they are defined in the US.  If it's defined to include secret communications, it's definitely outside the US definitions.

> we can also use crypto, for sensitive search and rescue
> messages (and I have).
I'm not sure that's ever permitted in the US under any circumstances.

                                                       -- Jerry