[Cryptography] Hacking spread spectrum clocking of HW ?

Henry Baker hbaker1 at pipeline.com
Wed May 25 20:03:24 EDT 2016

At 04:37 PM 5/25/2016, Harlan Lieberman-Berg wrote:
>Henry Baker <hbaker1 at pipeline.com> writes:
>> Q: How hard is it to diddle with the spreading codes on these clocking
>> sources?  I'd like to experiment with some longer codes.
>
>It's worth noting, you'll very probably be in violation of whatever
>country you belong to's laws if you mess with those codes without the
>proper license.
>
>In the US, for example, even amateur radio operators otherwise allowed
>to do way more than the general public aren't necessarily allowed to
>transmit spread spectrum outside certain spreading codes.
>
>cf https://www.tapr.org/ss_fcc.html and WT 97-12.
>--
>Harlan Lieberman-Berg
>~hlieberman

Thanks for the info, but this device isn't a *radio*, it's a *computer*,
and a really low power one at that.  So far as I know, there's no antenna
anywhere on this device.  I'm only interested in hacking its f'ing clock!

If this device is "transmitting" anything at all, then there's something
dreadfully wrong with it, and/or someone else has already hacked it.