[Cryptography] Hacking spread spectrum clocking of HW ?

Dave Horsfall dave at horsfall.org
Thu May 26 22:48:23 EDT 2016

On Wed, 25 May 2016, Harlan Lieberman-Berg wrote:

> It's worth noting, you'll very probably be in violation of whatever
> country you belong to's laws if you mess with those codes without the
> proper license.
>
> In the US, for example, even amateur radio operators otherwise allowed
> to do way more than the general public aren't necessarily allowed to
> transmit spread spectrum outside certain spreading codes.

Australian amateurs are allowed to use SS (and I have) provided the
authorities have been notified of the spreading code (which sorta defeats
the purpose); we can also use crypto, for sensitive search and rescue
messages (and I have).

On one memorable episode, one of us, knowing that the reptiles of the
press were listening on their scanners, came up on CW (Morse) to announce
the news that they'd found the baby's corpse...