[Cryptography] On the 'regulation proof' aspect of Bitcoin

Phillip Hallam-Baker phill at hallambaker.com
Wed Mar 30 13:21:15 EDT 2016

On Tue, Mar 29, 2016 at 9:14 PM, Tamzen Cannoy <tamzen at cannoy.org> wrote:

> I’m going to request that y’all try to stay on the crypto/technical side of the discussion. Political flames etc will just be dropped on the floor.

Well the point here is that the principal reason for the extreme
decentralization in BitCoin is political rather than technical. And
that political constraint comes with a cost. If the decentralization
does not meet the requirement driving it then future schemes should
avoid it.

Bitcoin is at least two different things, it is a mechanism for
assigning value and it is a mechanism for transferring value between
parties.

I would like to be able to make use of a BitCoin like transfer scheme
without the mining bit. I don't think that is actually necessary to
maintain the integrity of the chain.