[Cryptography] Mixing public key crypto systems?

ianG iang at iang.org
Mon Mar 28 07:01:16 EDT 2016

On 28/03/2016 01:25 am, Henry Baker wrote:
> Inspired by the 'monoculture' thread, I'm curious as to whether it is possible to mix different public key crypto systems.

Packaging two key technologies into one is something that the
post-quantum folks have thought about.  If you think of for example the
certificate business, how would you ensure that it keeps running in the
face of a sudden shift in quantum capabilities.  E.g., someone reveals
that NSA has built a 256 bit EC cruncher...

(Personally, I'd say, nothing ever happens that fast in the
cryptanalysis world, let's wait for that evidence.  But opinions are all
over the map on this one.)

iang