[Cryptography] On the Impending Crypto Monoculture

Andrew Donoho awd at ddg.com
Sun Mar 27 15:22:31 EDT 2016

> On Mar 27, 2016, at 13:57 , Nemo <nemo at self-evident.org> wrote:
>
>> As Encrypt-then-MAC follows the similar pattern as a publicly
>> validate-able digital signature, I have a bias towards building the
>> storage system around similar patterns, Encrypt-then-MAC and
>> Encrypt-then-Sign.
>
> Actually, no, it is nothing like "a publicly validate-able digital
> signature". And "Encrypt-then-Sign" is nothing like authenticated
> encryption.

Nemo,

	Thank you for correcting me.

> In fact, this is the entire lesson of the recent JHU attack on
> iMessage. See https://twitter.com/secparam/status/711999852020940800 and
> http://blog.cryptographyengineering.com/2016/03/attack-of-week-apple-imessage.html

	I’ve read the blog post but not yet the paper.

	Your advice then would be to calculate the HMAC and then sign(h(m||hmac))? (Sign the SHA-256 hash of the encrypted AES-256-CBC message concatenated with the HMAC.) I can do that.

> Even Apple's engineers could not get this right. And some wonder why we
> say, "For crying out loud, just use Bernstein's code”?

	While I am quite open to using Bernstein’s code, as I hope I’ve adequately documented, I currently do not have that option. Will I encourage Apple to add more algorithms? Yes. When will they do so? In this anti-Apple regulatory environment, probably not in the next 10 years. The government is quite pissed off that Apple doesn’t suck at security.

Anon,
Andrew
Andrew W. Donoho
Donoho Design Group, L.L.C.
awd at DDG.com, +1 (512) 750-7596, twitter.com/adonoho

New: Spot marks the taX™ App, <http://SpotMarksTheTaX.com>
Retweever Family: <http://Image.Retweever.com>, <http://Retweever.com>

"To take no detours from the high road of reason and social responsibility."
   -- Marcus Aurelius