[Cryptography] More Bad Govt Shit To Fight (Burner Verizon FBI)

Ray Dillinger bear at sonic.net
Sat Mar 26 22:15:06 EDT 2016

On 03/26/2016 07:24 AM, Henry Baker wrote:
> At 08:34 PM 3/25/2016, grarpamp wrote:
>> https://politics.slashdot.org/story/16/03/25/2047211/bill-introduced-to-require-id-when-purchasing-burner-phones
>
> It'll be interesting to see how this bill is received.
>
> IMHO the vast majority of these phones -- at least here in California -- are used by undocumented residents, who have no papers, no driver's licenses, no bank accounts, and operate 100% on cash.

I'm also in California but the main use I see is at halfway
houses and womens' shelters.  There are a lot of scared battered
women out there who can't disentangle exes from their financial
crap fast enough to establish independent phone service without
them, and a lot of shelters that go through them like tissues.

It's a pretty big deal for them because there are *LOTS* of violent
loons who are trying to find those places, and everyone who winds
up there is completely inexperienced in the art of Not Being Seen.
Lots of chances for one person's mistake to become everybody's
problem, and phones are like the "ablative surface" that can be
gotten rid of for mutual protection when someone makes a mistake.

I see their IT manager at Urban Ore, buying a basket full of
old used phones, almost every time I'm over there.

				Bear