[Cryptography] ADMIN: Ad hominems are not acceptable.

Perry E. Metzger perry at piermont.com
Thu Mar 17 09:58:19 EDT 2016

With my moderator's hat on:

On Wed, 16 Mar 2016 18:57:03 -0400 "J.M. Porup" <jm at porup.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 16, 2016 at 09:07:59AM -0700, Henry Baker wrote:
> > I've come around to Dan Geer's way of thinking:
> > look to biological systems.  They've been dealing
> > with "security" problems for perhaps 2 billion
> > years, so there's some chance that they have
> > some tricks up their microscopic sleeves.
>
> With all due respect, Dan Geer works for the surveillance
> state. After six months of reading his posts to various
> mailing lists, I have come to the reluctant conclusion that
> everything he says must be parsed through a spook filter to
> figure out how whatever view he espouses promotes espiocracy
> at the expense of political liberty and democracy.

This is a pure ad hominem. You ignored the substantive point Henry
brought up, which had nothing to do with Dan Geer and everything to
do with biological approaches to security, and decided to attack Dan
Geer.

Now, if we were discussing Dan Geer that would be one thing,
but we can assess the ideas Henry is discussing without talking
about Dan Geer, and in fact Dan Geer is totally irrelevant to
evaluating those ideas.

Ad hominems aren't acceptable on this list. Do not do it again,
or your posting will not get forwarded.

Perry
Perry E. Metzger		perry at piermont.com