[Cryptography] Govt Can't Let Smartphones Be 'Black Boxes, ' Obama Say

Henry Baker hbaker1 at pipeline.com
Sun Mar 13 01:56:42 EST 2016

At 10:26 PM 3/12/2016, CANNON NATHANIEL CIOTA wrote:
>"You cannot take an absolutist view on this," Obama said at the South by Southwest festival in Austin, Texas.
>
>"If your argument is strong encryption no matter what, and we can and should create black boxes, that I think does not strike the kind of balance we have lived with for 200, 300 years, and it's fetishizing our phones above every other value."
>
>In one of my former writings from 2015 "The Dawn of the Crypto Age" found in 2600 Magazine 2015 Autumn edition or
>
>http://www.cannon-ciota.info/files/The-Dawn-of-the-Crypto-Age.txt
>
>I have explained the real reason and true agenda behind the war on crypto.
>
>As for the comments of our disgraceful president.
>
>We have not had balance for majority of the last few hundred years.
>
>Save for the revolution of 1775, power has been out of balance with the monopoly of power in the hands of governments.
>
>It is just as of recently, in the last few decades with birth of crypto technologies in which power has been going more into balance as a result of crypto technologies.
>
>Governments are only against crypto because it limits their ability to grow in perpetual power.
>
>Governments hate things which keeps it within due bounds.
>
>The war against security (crypto) is not about safety of the public, it is about security of a tyrannys ability to retain power and keep that power out of balance in its favor.
>
>We are now at the point in which crypto is being treated the same as armaments, if you abolish the legality of crypto and metaphorically thus disarm the population you have the recipe for tyranny.
>
>As for the threat of outlawing crypto and secure technology, the solution is simply to not comply regardless of legality or consequences.
>
>There is no compromise.

A case could be made that citizen crypto is protected -- at least in the U.S. -- by the *Second* Amendment.  Crypto has been considered "arms" on & off for hundreds of years, so crypto is as much a right under the Second Amendment as a firearm.

Plus, it's really difficult to kill 14 people by spraying them with random bits from the high capacity magazine of a random number generator, so the anti-gun people like Senator Feinstein should be thrilled with this interpretation.