[Cryptography] Govt Can't Let Smartphones Be 'Black Boxes, ' Obama Say

Howard Chu hyc at symas.com
Sat Mar 12 05:31:08 EST 2016

Henry Baker wrote:
> Without commenting on the Apple case, Obama dismissed those arguments,
saying that for centuries law enforcement agencies have been able to search
private property for evidence of crimes using a warrant.

The obvious direction where this is going:

Yes, we as citizens grant our government the right to search private property
with a proper search warrant. But we don't grant anyone the right to search
our minds. A computing device is more than just an inert piece of "property" -
it is an extension of our brains. Maybe only figuratively today, but
brain-machine interfaces aren't far away, and then it will be the literal
truth. And again, I sure as heck will not be granting anyone the right to
search any components of my mind. Nor should I need to - the 5th Amendment
already guarantees that.

--
   -- Howard Chu