[Cryptography] Director GCHQ speaks at MIT

Peter Fairbrother peter at m-o-o-t.org
Wed Mar 9 06:47:00 EST 2016

On 08/03/16 15:54, Henry Baker wrote:
> FYI --
>
> http://www.gchq.gov.uk/press_and_media/speeches/Pages/hannigan-speech-at-mit-front-doors-and-strong-locks.aspx
>
> Front doors and strong locks: encryption, privacy and intelligence gathering in the digital era
>
> Speech - 08 Mar 2016
>
> A full transcript of the speech by Robert Hannigan, Director GCHQ, as delivered at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, on 07 March 2016.
> -----------
> All you need to know: "I'm not a cryptologist", but I'm here to help you design your encryption system, anyway.
>
> "I don't *need* or *want* [for my family's communications] the same level of security applied to protect a nuclear submarine's communications."
>
> That sounds like purposely *weakening* security to me...

[1] Published alongside the speech were two newly declassified papers by
James Ellis, a cryptographer at GCHQ who, in the 1970s, secretly
invented public-key cryptography.

The papers, titled The Possibility of Secure Non-Secret Digital
Encryption [2] and The Possibility of Secure Non-Secret Analogue
Encryption [3], had remained classified for almost 50 years.

Hannigan : "For nearly 100 years we have been intimately involved in
strengthening encryption."

And keeping it from the unwashed masses ..

> When people like this start talking about "balance", "proportionality" and "trade-offs", check to see if you still have your wallet.

Heck, check to see if you still have your fingers ..

[1]
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/03/08/gchq_we_love_crypto_director_hannigan_mit_speech/

[2]
http://www.gchq.gov.uk/SiteCollectionDocuments/CESG_Research_Report_No_3006.pdf