[Cryptography] EFF amicus brief in support of Apple

Perry E. Metzger perry at piermont.com
Sun Mar 6 14:03:08 EST 2016

On Sun, 6 Mar 2016 08:38:38 -0800 Ray Dillinger <bear at sonic.net>
wrote:
> The current state of the art is that providing secure systems
> for people who do not participate in working to secure their
> systems is extremely hard.

Is it? Most users of the "walled gardens" people around here are very
fond of attacking seem to have fairly good security. Not superb, but
pretty good, and quite notably not worse than those people who are
operating on open systems and who do participate in trying to secure
their own systems.

> It is possible that a profit center can be identified outside
> of selling customer data to advertisers.

Apple quite strongly asserts that their interest is in selling people
machines and not in selling data about their users.

That said, I will note that Google has been working very, very hard
at improving the security of various platforms, even ones they don't
sell (Project Zero has contributed many bug reports to Apple), and
they are indeed advertising based.

Perry
Perry E. Metzger		perry at piermont.com