[Cryptography] More Apple news

Tom Mitchell mitch at niftyegg.com
Fri Mar 4 01:11:05 EST 2016

On Thu, Mar 3, 2016 at 8:48 PM, Viktor Dukhovni <cryptography at dukhovni.org>
wrote:

> http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2016/03/san-bernardino-da-says-seized-iphone-may-hold-dormant-cyber-pathogen/
>
>    "The iPhone is a county owned telephone that may have connected to
>     the San Bernardino County computer network. The seized iPhone may
>     contain evidence that can only be found on the seized phone that
>     it was used as a weapon to introduce a lying dormant cyber pathogen

> This seems so far beyond remotely plausible that one wonders whether
> the responsible lawyers can be disbarred for blatant fabrication...

The outside in perspective is that the San Bernardino County computer
network
is now documented as being insufficiently protected and insufficiently
encrypted.

This level of paranoia can  take us to any employee of any organization
anytime
and anyplace.

If this is not a foolish or criminal fabrication then San Bernardino County
computer network
management needs to be replaced or augmented with talent.  Given the common
move to outsource across national borders or staff IT centers with H1B visa
holders
if this is an honest concern, the DOJ, NSA, DOD and DHS need to worry about
it
at a national and international level.
 i.e. we have a lot more to worry about.

The obvious action demanded by his assderton is to collect ALL cell phones
and computers
that have ever connected to the San Bernardino County computer network and
lock them down
for forensic review starting with all the devices used by this individual
then to 5 levels of connectivity
again starting with this individual.

<serious>
More importantly  IMNSHO this reinforces the need for Apple to keep their
digital secrets secret.
</serious>

Sigh...
    OMG I cannot believe I gave this a moment of thought.   Is Sheldon
going to shout Bazinga in ten seconds?

--
  T o m    M i t c h e l l