[Cryptography] 9999 keys for this one iPhone

danimoth danimoth at cryptolab.net
Tue Mar 1 04:53:36 EST 2016

On 29/02/16 at 06:59pm, John Levine wrote:
> In article <CAAMy4US2S=p=h73ZH5YNaQf4z8QGV9jdVGEfFpBB3Ts_-G8NBg at mail.gmail.com> you write:
> >With a four number PIN there are 9999 keys for the
> >data on the phone.  All other secrets are constants.
> >
> >The (AES) key is generated from the PIN (key) entangled with the Unique ID
> >
> >"Each Secure Enclave ....
>
> The Secure Enclave was introduced on the A7 processor used in the
> iPhone 6 series.  The San Bernadino phone is a 5C which uses the
> older A6 processor.
>
> In the older processors, it's all software.

Anyway, I don't think hardware or software is making a difference. Bugs
exist in both..

For instance, please see this article [1] (excuse me for the language, you
can easily use google translate, and for the really long URL). It says
that an Iphone 5, with IOS8, was easily decrypted by an Israelian
company, appointed by the judge, in less than one working week, and that
having a crack for IOS9 is only a matter of time (week? month?).

Apart for freedom consideration (which probably belongs to cypherpunks
rather than here, could a judge order to crack something?), it is clear
that there's no need to insert backdoors: just wait the proper amount of
time.

dan

[1] http://milano.corriere.it/notizie/cronaca/16_febbraio_29/acido-segreti-cellulare-alex-aggirato-blocco-apple-e7aa25a0-dee1-11e5-8660-2dd950039afc.shtml