[Cryptography] 9999 keys for this one iPhone

Tom Mitchell mitch at niftyegg.com
Mon Feb 29 15:37:59 EST 2016

On Mon, Feb 29, 2016 at 10:59 AM, John Levine <johnl at iecc.com> wrote:

> In article <CAAMy4US2S=p=
> h73ZH5YNaQf4z8QGV9jdVGEfFpBB3Ts_-G8NBg at mail.gmail.com> you write:
> >With a four number PIN there are 9999 keys for the
> >data on the phone.  All other secrets are constants.
> >
> >The (AES) key is generated from the PIN (key) entangled with the Unique ID
> >
> >"Each Secure Enclave ....
>
> The Secure Enclave was introduced on the A7 processor used in the
> iPhone 6 series.  The San Bernadino phone is a 5C which uses the
> older A6 processor.
>
> In the older processors, it's all software.

Even easier to believe Apple can comply and more importantly easier to
believe the software if it exists would be abused at a kiosk near you.

Teardown sites show me that the flash is available and could be
archived. https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iPhone+5s+Teardown/17383

I can see Ebay sales of used 5C phones moving quite quickly as
a couple hundred get snapped up by would be forensic inventors.

--
  T o m    M i t c h e l l