[Cryptography] The FBI doesn't need Apple's help to unlock the phone

Tom Mitchell mitch at niftyegg.com
Mon Feb 29 05:20:15 EST 2016

On Fri, Feb 26, 2016 at 7:13 PM, John Levine <johnl at iecc.com> wrote:

> In a recent posting to the Risks digest, Rebecca Mercuri is baffled
> why the FBI is demanding Apple write unlock software when they can do
> it themselves.

> So they just keep cloning the phone and trying 10 PINs until it works.
> This could take a while but as she notes, probably less time than it
> will take to appeal their case up to the Supreme Court.
>
> http://catless.ncl.ac.uk/m/risks/latest#subj1.1

She is confusing devices but the link makes it obvous that
the FBI has invested a lot into Kiosk phone and data services.
https://www.fbi.gov/houston/image/loose-media-kiosk/view
https://www.rcfl.gov/

Table one in:
https://oig.justice.gov/reports/2015/a1514.pdf
Tells me that not only has Apple been presented with 10,000 data
extraction requests that there is a thriving activity equally as
large. Looking at all manner of data...

The number of offices so equipped amazes me.

https://www.rcfl.gov/downloads/documents/cpik-brochure

There are issues:
https://oig.justice.gov/press/2015/2015-04-07.pdf

There are espionage risks in the phone repair industry.
   FBI: Fourth person with possible ISIS ties in custody
http://fw.to/o8qGUXd

Interesting...
Is this an industry protecting itself?

--