[Cryptography] From Nicaragua to Snowden - why no national standards should be considered in cryptosec

Thierry Moreau thierry.moreau at connotech.com
Sat Feb 27 21:57:39 EST 2016

On 27/02/16 10:35 PM, Ben Laurie wrote:

> On 27 February 2016 at 17:04, Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell at cs.tcd.ie
> <mailto:stephen.farrell at cs.tcd.ie>> wrote:
>
>     There's that. But "national" is also no good as a label, as
>     AES is national and some national algs are less well vetted/known
>     than others.
>

> Ah, but AES is from the right nation.
>
> Its a crazy idea, I know, but there might be some nations who are not so
> keen on other nations mandating their crypto.
>
> IETF has pretensions of being worldwide, but really, its all about the
> US, with grudging support of their close allies.
>
> Is there _any_ non-national crypto?

The algorithms developed by academic contributions, often improved by
academic contributions unrelated to the original work.

A good portion of public key cryptography algorithms would fall into
this category (DSA / ECDSA being the most obvious counterexample).

For hash functions and symmetric encryption "Your mileage may vary" e.g.
the set of ASHA and AES competitors may include algorithms sufficiently
peer-reviewed with some independence from the right nation (who managed
the competitions).

- Thierry