[Cryptography] USG v. Apple, Apple Motion to Vacate Decrypt Order

Richard Outerbridge outer at interlog.com
Fri Feb 26 14:14:38 EST 2016

> On 2016-02-26 (57), at 12:35:13, John Levine <johnl at iecc.com> wrote:
>
>> Doesn’t this all boil down to a 2nd Amendment argument?
>>
>> Namely, if it is within my personal power to protect my
>> privacy using whatsoever weapons or technology I may avail
>> myself of, do I have a prima facie right against the
>> powers of my state arrayed against me as their citizen?
>
> This is what some might call an intriguing and innovative
> interpretation of the 2nd amendment, and others might call hooey.

Point taken.  But if encryption software can be Governed as a Weapon
for trade purposes, for example Export Licensing, why wouldn’t it
qualify for ”safe harbour” under the 2nd Amendment?

Again, I’m just a simple, ignorant, Canuck Canadian with no real
business in meddling with your affairs, unless it comes down to
your trying to invade us again.

Always remember: never make a Canadian angry:
You may not live to regret it. :)
_outer