[Cryptography] [Crypto-practicum] Justify the sequence of operations in CTR mode.

Bill Frantz frantz at pwpconsult.com
Thu Feb 25 20:39:07 EST 2016

On 2/23/16 at 1:17 PM, leichter at lrw.com (Jerry Leichter) wrote:

>2.  We generally assume that a write to a disk block is
>atomic:  It either completes successfully (replacing all the
>old data with the new) or fails completely (leaving the old
>data unchanged).  Unfortunately, this isn't true.  I can't give
>a reference right now, but detailed studies of disk failure
>modes show that all kinds of bizarre failures can and do occur.

The IBM 3830 disk controller and other similar controllers has a
specified behavior when the the IBM channel (think DMA) did
provide bytes fast enough.

The specified action was to fill the block on disk with the last
byte received from the channel and then write a good error
checking code. Why the didn't write a bad error checking code to
indicate the write had failed is beyond me.

Cheers - Bill

Bill Frantz        | Re: Hardware Management Modes: | Periwinkle
(408)356-8506      | If there's a mode, there's a   | 16345
Englewood Ave
www.pwpconsult.com | failure mode. - Jerry Leichter | Los Gatos,
CA 95032