[Cryptography] Thoughts on the Apple iPhone fiasco

Allen allenpmd at gmail.com
Thu Feb 18 21:18:46 EST 2016

> Of course the iPhone in question is an old model,and I gather that the
> latest iPhones have something similar, which is supposed to be
> unbreakable-by-Apple -

The latest iPhones are very breakable, just in a different way.  They are
breakable if Apple convinces the user to download spyware or a rootkit,
which Apple could do (if the user is still alive and using their phone) by
presenting the spyware/rootkit as a valid system upgrade or by bundling it
with an app the user downloads and installs from the appstore.

This is where the battle is really headed--not whether Apple or any other
device/software manufacturer should be compelled to hack into a hackable
phone (which I called Issue A on another thread).  That can be solved by
technology that makes the device/software "unhackable".

The real battle is in whether a device/software manufacturer can be forced
to backdoor or root a targeted user (what I called Issue B), or backdoor
all devices (what I called Issue C).