[Cryptography] Thoughts on the Apple iPhone fiasco

Tom Mitchell mitch at niftyegg.com
Thu Feb 18 17:09:59 EST 2016

On Thu, Feb 18, 2016 at 2:02 AM, covariant <covariant at i2pmail.org> wrote:

> On 02/17/2016 07:50 PM, Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:
> > In this case, I don't think it is a close call. The phone's owner
> > is suspected of being a mass murderer and they are dead. I don't
> > think anyone has the right to privacy in those circumstances.
>
> You are ignoring the privacy of anyone who might have had contact with
> the owner of the phone.

Yes... today in the news:

http://abc7.com/news/fbi-serves-search-warrant-at-syed-farooks-brothers-home/1205817/

FBI SERVES SEARCH WARRANT AT SYED FAROOK'S BROTHER'S HOME

One implication is that any contact on the phone would be subject to search
confiscation of property asset forfeiture and other legal actions.  As the
time
of the brothers home search warrant indicates there is nothing speedy in
the
investigation and no way under the law to be free of perpetual investigative
scrutiny.

This is not about a single phone or a specific crime.  Simply the First
Phone.

After the first court issued warrants must be complied with. Apple cannot
pick and choose once they demonstrate an ability to comply they
must comply with all requests.   Should the code have a bug who if anyone
indemnifies Apple from troubles.

--
  T o m    M i t c h e l l