[Cryptography] NSA’s FAQs Demystify the Demise of Suite B

Hanno Böck hanno at hboeck.de
Thu Feb 11 14:27:09 EST 2016

On Thu, 11 Feb 2016 07:38:06 -0800
Francisco Corella <fcorella at pomcor.com> wrote:

> The FAQs make sense, but do not explain one detail: why DSA has been
> omitted from the CNSA Suite.  In the blog post I argue that DSA is
> being dropped at the wrong time.

You miss two major reasons why people don't like DSA:
1. It's extremely fragile when it comes to bad random numbers. Use it
once with a bad RNG: Your key is compromised.
2. DSA was limited to 1024 bit for a long time, a 2048 bit option was
only added later. For many implementations this means either use it
with 1024 bit or not at all.

Given that I find it reasonable to drop support (and I have strongly
argued for the removal from TLS 1.3).

--
Hanno Böck
https://hboeck.de/