[Cryptography] Proof that the NSA does not have a quantum computer capable of attacking public key crypto (yet)

Darkpassenger darkpassenger at unseen.is
Wed Feb 10 13:31:24 EST 2016

On 2016-02-09 20:49, Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:

> C,D) it follows that the NSA is not capable of breaking bitcoin
>
> Therefore NSA does not have a quantum computer (yet).

argumentatively even if NSA hasnt cracked bitcoin , it necessarily
doesnt guarantee , and therefore a "proof" of not having Q capabilities
. additionally here are basic counterarguments :
- if q machinery was to build and put to use , they are people who have
the budget , talent resource , political and societal means to do it .
- the corrupt govt cases prove , if anything , the hunger and risk
taking nature of the environment . advancements happen in those criteria
. some nerd jokes about silk road or prostitution cases are far too lame
to be offered as basis of measurement of usg's willingness for power .
whether its NSA who builds a working q machine or a weird project within
DOE routed to a remote Sandia site doesnt matter . its highly doubtful
if expensive and very forward technologies , if exist , used in police
cases imho
- there is simply no guarantee that pk based systems are immune to post
modern math attacks , the kind that its actually NSA's job to go get
them , and whoever is involved with them , classified .
- not a commerce expert but seems to me the Chinese have proven history
to mess with currency and exchange systems and used it for political
gain . i suppose other players most certainly usg may have done that as
well . if bitcoin is to be taken seriously in trade i would be very
doubtful of China and usg not messing with it already . average
math/crypto/software folks with laser pencil and powerpoints can go all
night how great is dh or others for that matter . i just dont buy it
- the actual financial gain to get physical with bitcoin and crack it
would be silly .
- nsa internal security is bad . the media identity known as snowden is
not supposedly the way to prove that . there were more serious leaks and
defectors from within us ic including nsa in war time . there is google
for the names and their impacts . the older cases are much better in
this argument because its more likely the whole truth about them is
revealed by different actors over the time specially the difficult post
cold war era . from this point , argument goes based on whether we
assume nsa learns from history or not and in both cases i dont see the
proof of them not having the q , necessarily

quick point -- i am not actually saying they have it . but all things
considered , if i hear credible source saying they got it , i wouldnt be
surprised .

-dp