[Cryptography] Photojournalists & filmmakers want cameras to be encrypted

Tom Mitchell mitch at niftyegg.com
Fri Dec 16 18:15:26 EST 2016

On Thu, Dec 15, 2016 at 6:43 PM, Ray Dillinger <bear at sonic.net> wrote:

> On 12/15/2016 03:03 PM, Jan Dušátko wrote:
> >

> > Current industry solution are use

> If such a camera did exist, I think it would be confiscated at
> *EVERY* checkpoint where anyone might seize an ordinary camera.

Yes...

> OTOH, a camera you can't see into probably wouldn't justify
> the expense of jailing or torturing somebody - the response
> would be limited to the seizure of the camera leaving the
> journalists considerably safer.

Not sure...

> Whether contents are encrypted or not, crypto hardware is very
> much worthwhile to build into cameras, because such hardware
> could also do crypto authentication for evidentiary purposes.

Evidentiary is not a consumer camera. My SWAG is evidentiary is
less than 1% of high quality cameras and perhaps 100% of cell phones.

Decades ago the folk at ILM noted that video evidence was already at risk
with a pile of cash and individual still digital images already
questionable.
This was 25 years ago.

--
  T o m    M i t c h e l l