[Cryptography] Photojournalists & filmmakers want cameras to be encrypted

Ray Dillinger bear at sonic.net
Fri Dec 16 19:16:57 EST 2016

On 12/16/2016 03:15 PM, Tom Mitchell wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 15, 2016 at 6:43 PM, Ray Dillinger <bear at sonic.net> wrote:

>> Whether contents are encrypted or not, crypto hardware is very
>> much worthwhile to build into cameras, because such hardware
>> could also do crypto authentication for evidentiary purposes.

> Evidentiary is not a consumer camera. My SWAG is evidentiary is
> less than 1% of high quality cameras and perhaps 100% of cell phones.

It's journos who are asking for this, and their cameras are definitely
part of that 1%.  A reporter who can show that her footage isn't
tampered can limit the degree to which people are able to credibly deny
or discredit her story.

Now think evidence again.  Outside of journalism and investigation
contexts, you don't know in advance which cameras are going to be used
to record something that becomes evidence. A random college student at a
demonstration takes footage of an incident of police brutality using
whatever camera they happen to be carrying, and either is, or isn't,
able to convince reporters/school officials that the incident wasn't
faked, or convince police higher-ups that it can't be credibly denied.

				Bear