[Cryptography] Is "drivers for foo" a major malware vector?

Tom Mitchell mitch at niftyegg.com
Wed Apr 20 00:53:58 EDT 2016

On Mon, Apr 18, 2016 at 4:13 PM, Ray Dillinger <bear at sonic.net> wrote:

> I don't know how I can be any clearer about this. What is the
> cognitive barrier that is making the actual issue here go straight
> past people?!

Absolutely this a known issue.

The sharpest tool on the internet is sadly copyright law.
Device vendors and website owners have to complain to
authorities.

Misuse of a trademark can trigger google and other search engines
to flush or block all references to sites.

In this case you stumbled on one of the obvious abuses.
Less obvious abuses are much more common.

What you have discovered is a style of bait to detect
fraud or malware sites with few false positives because
there is no driver for a service to deliver.
Lacking a driver the only reason to use a trademark, model number,
product name etc is to defraud customers of the company
selling the product.

Such clarity is uncommon and worthy of sharing with authorities
that are honestly in the business of law enforcement.

--
  T o m    M i t c h e l l