[Cryptography] 'Canary Numbers' for online testing of TRNG's

Henry Baker hbaker1 at pipeline.com
Tue Apr 19 12:58:56 EDT 2016

FYI --

http://eprint.iacr.org/2016/386

Canary Numbers: Design for Light-weight Online Testability of True Random Number Generators

Vladimir Rozic and Bohan Yang and Nele Mentens and Ingrid Verbauwhede

Abstract: We introduce the concept of canary numbers, to be used in health tests for true random number generators.  Health tests are essential components of true random number generators because they are used to detect defects and failures of the entropy source.  These tests need to be lightweight, low-latency and highly reliable.  The proposed solution uses canary numbers which are an extra output of the entropy source of lower quality.  This enables an early-warning attack detection before the output of the generator is compromised.  We illustrate the idea with 2 case studies of true random number generators implemented on a Xilinx Spartan-6 FPGA.

Category / Keywords: applications / TRNG, FPGA, Online Test, Lightweight

Date: received 15 Apr 2016

Contact author: Vladimir Rozic at esat kuleuven be

http://eprint.iacr.org/2016/386.pdf