[Cryptography] How to get certificates on email server?

Ron Garret ron at flownet.com
Mon Apr 18 15:41:23 EDT 2016

I presume that by “my email program” you mean an email *client*, not an MTA (like Postfix).  Which client are you using?  Because I’ve never seen a client that give you the option to accept a certificate without allowing you to look at it.  And what port are you connecting to?  The answer depends on whether you are using SMTP+STARTTLS (port 25) or SMTPS (port 465).  (See https://www.fastmail.com/help/technical/ssltlsstarttls.html).

If you’re using SMTPS then you can get the cert using openssl.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7885785/using-openssl-to-get-the-certificate-from-a-server

If you’re using SMTP then I don’t know the answer offhand.

rg