[Cryptography] Have you seen...

Henry Baker hbaker1 at pipeline.com
Sun Apr 3 18:11:22 EDT 2016

At 12:20 AM 4/3/2016, Allen Schaaf wrote:
>Excellent article on an Latin American election hacker in Bloomberg.
>
>http://www.bloomberg.com/features/2016-how-to-hack-an-election/
>
>Perhaps the election security is worse in Latin America, but I would not bet on it given the aging balloting machines in the US and a very long history of stuffing ballot boxes and Yellow journalism.
>
>Think the explosion on the USS Maine that took more than 75 years to provide a much more probable cause.
>
>These days we are not so crude, and have a h$%^ of a lot more "security" people.
>
>Also look at the confusion in the press between the FBI accessing what is on the iPhone versus cracking AES.
>
>Scare tactics not all that different than the USS Maine.
>
>Best, Allen

<irony>

Which is worse: hacking an election, or having to fix it afterwards -- e.g., Iran, Guatemala, Chile, Vietnam, ... ?

The Dulles brothers would have said that in their experience, it's a lot cheaper & less messy to just hack the elections in the first place to assure the "appropriate" outcome.

Democracy is far too precious to allow the little peoples' votes to actually count.  Heck, we might end up with another Hitler.

</irony>

I believe that some of the recent GOP primaries included some online voting.  God only knows whether they were hacked.