[Cryptography] Future GPG/PGP

Paul Wouters paul at cypherpunks.ca
Tue Sep 29 15:51:57 EDT 2015

On Mon, 28 Sep 2015, phm wrote:

> What, if any, efforts have been initiated to replace GPG? I'm very
> interested to know. I understand that RSA 4096 is much more than "pretty
> good," but I'm also sure that folks are forever working on such tools.

The openpgp group has been re-opened and an updated RFC is being
worked on.

https://datatracker.ietf.org/wg/openpgp/charter/

https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/search/?email_list=openpgp

excerpt from the charter:

 	This incarnation of the working group is chartered to primarily produce
 	a revision of RFC4880 to address issues that have been identified by the
 	community since the working group was originally closed.

 	These revisions will include, but are not limited to:

 	- Potential inclusion of elliptic curves recommended by the Crypto Forum
 	  Research Group (CFRG) (see note below)

 	- A symmetric encryption mechanism that offers modern message integrity
 	  protection (e.g. AEAD)

 	- Revision of mandatory-to-implement algorithm selection and deprecation
 	  of weak algorithms

 	- An updated public-key fingerprint mechanism

 	  The Working Group will perform the following work:

 	- Revise RFC4880

 	- Other work related to OpenPGP may be entertained by the working group
 	  as long as it does not interfere with the completion of the RFC4880
 	  revision.

Paul