[Cryptography] VW/EPA tests as crypto protocols ?

Aram Perez aramperez at mac.com
Thu Sep 24 12:55:42 EDT 2015

On Sep 24, 2015, at 9:30 AM, Phillip Hallam-Baker <phill at hallambaker.com> wrote:
> ====[snip]=====
>
> BTW, when I was interviewing for an apprenticeship before University, I did the tour at Austin Rover. They had a GM car on the test rig being stripped down to see how it handles and a Ford sitting next in line.
>
> The idea that none of the other manufacturers knew this was going on is ludicrous. The only reason for not reporting would be if they were up to the same sort of thing themselves.

A few years back on a trip to Europe, a friend of mine was telling me about an "after-market" chip he bought for his car (I don't remember the make/model) that would give him better performance. It had code to detect whether it was being tested and set the parameters so the car could pass the tests.

/Aram