[Cryptography] millions of Ashley Madison bcrypt hashes cracked efficiently

Kevin W. Wall kevin.w.wall at gmail.com
Sun Sep 20 19:05:45 EDT 2015

On Sun, Sep 20, 2015 at 12:15 AM, Bill Frantz <frantz at pwpconsult.com> wrote:

> I would love to have a reference for "You can't get a new SSN." Is there > something on a government web page?

Twenty+ years ago, my wife and I tried to get a new SSN for our
adopted son shortly after we adopted him because his birth mother
knew his original SSN and I was paranoid. (That's why I work in
the security field, right? ;-) Long story short, the SSA said that
while it was possible to get a new SSN issued, they didn't normally
do that and there were all kinds of additional hoops (mostly paperwork)
that we would have had to go though to make it happen. I don't recall
what the additional requirements were, but in the end, we decided that
it wasn't worth the effort.

Of course, that was pre-9/11, so who knows how things are now.

-kevin
NSA: All your crypto bit are belong to us.