[Cryptography] The default password of '1234'

Peter Gutmann pgut001 at cs.auckland.ac.nz
Fri Sep 18 23:51:12 EDT 2015

Dave Horsfall <dave at horsfall.org> writes:

>It starts to play up, so for 'giggles' I connect a web browser to the default
>route and get presented with a "Movistar home ADSL" router. Can see status
>but the interesting stuff is of course password projected. Some time later
>(presumably after some one reboots it to make the 'net work again), I type
>into google 'Movistar ADSL password' and get the devices manual.
>
>The default password of '1234' has not been changed......

I've run into that a fair bit in smaller motels where the Wifi has been set up
by the owner's nephew or a guy he knows from across the road.  I usually write
them a short note on how to disable admin page access from the WLAN and how to
change the default password, and get them to pass it on to whoever set the
thing up...

Peter.