[Cryptography] FBI: Weaker Encryption Is a Worthwhile Tradeoff for Law Enforcement Access to Data

Henry Baker hbaker1 at pipeline.com
Fri Sep 18 16:05:42 EDT 2015

At 04:58 AM 9/18/2015, Dave Howe wrote:
>On 17/09/2015 18:15, Henry Baker wrote:
>> FYI -- Easy for the FBI to say; they're not on the hook for potentially billions in damages from any breach.  (Leaving aside the egregious Constitutional violations.)
>
>Possibly that is a viable response then.
>
>Say that, putting aside the other objections for now, that there *could* be a tradeoff to be made, and provided the USG is happy to indemnify any users of the weakened crypto from any losses due to disclosure.....
>
>After all, they are somehow convinced that abuse of this golden key is not going to happen, despite there never having been an instance of an abuse-free system at any point the past...

I'm waiting to see how DHS/TSA idemnifies all the users of *its* "Golden Key"...

TSA: 'the locks are merely for travelers’ “peace of mind.”' [FBI's Comey also wants us to have "peace of mind" with our "secure" (hackdoor-) "encrypted" iPhones !!]

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/hacker-easily-cracks-tsa-approved-051001289.html

Hacker Easily Cracks TSA-Approved Luggage Locks

Lockpickers and security enthusiasts have figured out how to use 3-D printers to reproduce Transportation Security Administration master keys, and they posted the instructions on Github.

https://github.com/Xyl2k/TSA-Travel-Sentry-master-keys

The TSA, however, told Money Talks News the reproductions are not a security threat and that the locks are merely for travelers’ “peace of mind.”