[Cryptography] Comey: targeted ads => plaintext access

Ray Dillinger bear at sonic.net
Wed Sep 16 18:33:14 EDT 2015

On 09/16/2015 05:31 AM, Benjamin Kreuter wrote:

> As I said, it is all theoretical right now.  Implementing such a
> protocol in practice, in a way that makes economic sense, is still a
> long way off.  There are also certain assumptions hiding in all this,
> like that the ad broker is not engaged in a "sibyl attack."  Again, the
> point is that in theory end-to-end encryption is not incompatible with
> targeted ads.

But why wouldn't the ad broker engage in a sibyl attack?  It's in
his economic interest to know EXACTLY who's getting his ads, because
that list of names/addresses is one of the things he sells.  In this
era the consumer IS the product.

Heck, he'll even serve up ads that prompt internet requests to his
own servers to get one-pixel graphics just to see where the requests
come from, if we don't give him an easier way to find out.

				Bear