[Cryptography] millions of Ashley Madison bcrypt hashes cracked efficiently

Bill Frantz frantz at pwpconsult.com
Sun Sep 13 22:51:28 EDT 2015

On 9/12/15 at 2:59 PM, rsalz at akamai.com (Salz, Rich) wrote:

>>When your bank account is cracked, the bank makes it right. When you SSN is
>>misused, there are ways to make it right. Admittedly any of these problems
>>can be a royal PITA, but you don't lose any reputation when your accounts
>>get cracked this way, even if your own negligence contributed to the
>>incident.
>
>Has it ever happened to you?  Brushing it off with a "PITA but
>can be made right" is neither fair nor accurate.  Especially
>not for SSN, which is attached to you forever.

I don't think it has happened to me. (How would I know for sure?)

Please explain how that statement is unfair and inaccurate. It
would seem a victim should be able to get a new SSN. Why not?

Cheers - Bill

Bill Frantz        |The nice thing about standards| Periwinkle
(408)356-8506      |is there are so many to choose| 16345
Englewood Ave
www.pwpconsult.com |from.   - Andrew Tanenbaum    | Los Gatos,
CA 95032