[Cryptography] mode of operation for file encryption

sebastien riou 2357bc at gmail.com
Wed Sep 2 11:09:14 EDT 2015

> Your made-up mode is: C = AES-ECB(k, P xor IV xor BlockIndex)
>
> If (P_i xor i) = (P_j xor j), then C_i = C_j. If someone sees any
> identical output blocks, they learn (P_i xor P_j) = (i xor j). That's
> information about the plaintext.
>
> If you don't see any identical blocks of output, you also learn that
> no pairs of plaintext satisfy that relationship. Again, that's
> information about the plaintext.

Right!! Thanks for pointing that out.

That explain the GF128 multiplication and the first xor in XEX: there
is need for a good mixing of the block index with some additional
secret key material before xoring the plain text.

But now I am wondering, what value the final xor in XEX is adding ? (I
don't question that it should be done, its cost is really
insignificant compared to the GF128 multiplication, just curious about
which twisted attack it aims to prevent)