[Cryptography] [FORGED] Re: NSA looking for quantum-computing resistant encryption. How will encryption be affected by quantum computing

Steve Weis steveweis at gmail.com
Tue Sep 1 11:42:14 EDT 2015

On Tue, Sep 1, 2015 at 12:47 AM, Peter Gutmann
<pgut001 at cs.auckland.ac.nz> wrote:
> Steve Weis <steveweis at gmail.com> writes:
> >As far as I know, the record for factoring with Shor's algorithm is the
> >number 21.
>
> I thought it was fifteen.  If it's now 21 then that's a tremendous amount of
> progress in the last decade, you now need to train a dog to bark seven times
> instead of five [0].

This is the claim of factoring 21:
http://www.nature.com/nphoton/journal/v6/n11/full/nphoton.2012.259.html

I recently put my reputation on the line by predicting that by 2030,
we will have factored 35.

Meanwhile, the state of the art in dog factoring has progressed
rapidly. My neighbor's dog successfully factored 41707 last night.