[Cryptography] Paper check security

Brian Gladman brg at gladman.plus.com
Fri Oct 2 03:49:42 EDT 2015

On 02/10/2015 02:32, Peter Gutmann wrote:
> Tom Mitchell <mitch at niftyegg.com> writes:
>
>> This is a gap that needs to be addressed.
>
> For non-US people, could someone explain how much of a problem this still is?
> It's got to be at least twenty years since I last wrote a cheque, and even
> then it was once or twice a year for special payments.

Here in the UK some financial organisations still require a cheque for
some types of transaction (e.g. high value ones on 'free' bank accounts
where the account holder wishes to avoid a transaction fee).  Some
financial organisations also seem to use the ability to write a cheque
as a form of authentication/identification.

   Brian