[Cryptography] US Congress Vows To Criminalize First Amendment in re Paris

Benjamin Kreuter brk7bx at virginia.edu
Sun Nov 22 22:49:27 EST 2015

On Sun, 2015-11-22 at 16:06 -0500, Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 22, 2015 at 3:03 PM, Bystroushaak
> <bystrousak at kitakitsune.org> wrote:
> > Related: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/11/20/clinton_silicon_valley/
>
> She appears to be saying she is backing crypto controls but when you
> look at what she actually says, she is saying nothing that isn't
> obvious.

What she is saying is that cryptographers should work with the
government -- as if that did not happen already.  Quite a few big names
in cryptography research published work on back doors and key escrow
systems.

Cryptographers generally agree on the conclusion of all that research:

> Yep, we have told the US govt that no compromise exists. There is no
> pixie dust technology that allows the good guys to read the bad guys
> communications.

For Mrs. Clinton it makes absolutely no difference whether or not any
research has been done.  All she needs is a chance to display her
leadership skills, and what better chance than two groups of people who
fundamentally disagree on an important issue (at least according to the
narrative told by the media)?  She is trying to be the voice of reason
and score a few votes.

-- Ben