[Cryptography] US Congress Vows To Criminalize First Amendment in re Paris

Phillip Hallam-Baker phill at hallambaker.com
Sun Nov 22 16:06:57 EST 2015

On Sun, Nov 22, 2015 at 3:03 PM, Bystroushaak
<bystrousak at kitakitsune.org> wrote:
> Related: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/11/20/clinton_silicon_valley/

She appears to be saying she is backing crypto controls but when you
look at what she actually says, she is saying nothing that isn't
obvious.

Yep, we have told the US govt that no compromise exists. There is no
pixie dust technology that allows the good guys to read the bad guys
communications.

Problem is that producing a crypto infrastructure to secure the
communications of a tightly knit group of terrorists is actually
rather easy. AES/RSA-2048 and a bit of simple steganography (PNG files
using the least significant bit) is a high school project level
programming task.

The systems we produce don't attempt to defeat targeted surveillance,
or traffic analysis at anywhere near the level that a non standards
based scheme designed for a handful of highly motivated users can.