[Cryptography] ratcheting DH strengths over time

ianG iang at iang.org
Sat Nov 21 09:37:14 EST 2015

On 16/11/2015 16:06 pm, Perry E. Metzger wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Nov 2015 10:57:12 -0500 "Perry E. Metzger"
> <perry at piermont.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, 16 Nov 2015 00:10:09 +0000 ianG <iang at iang.org> wrote:
>>> [Suggests that software should up key sizes, DH group sizes,
>>> etc. automatically with time, taking the decision to do so out of
>>> user hands.]
> [...]
>> So, I suppose my overall comment is: this is an interesting idea,
>> but I suspect it will not be entirely easy to make work, especially
>> in the places where it is most needed (that is, hardware being kept
>> around way past the point where it should be retired.)
>
> Oh, and an addendum: you can up your DH primes all you like, but if
> the key exchange is then driving RC4 or 1DES for the actual
> communications or what have you, you lose. Cryptographic protocols
> like TLS depend on several moving parts -- key exchange, hashes,
> symmetric ciphers, etc.
>
> The NSA's policy seems to be that you set all of these to be more or
> less of equivalent security and there's no point in having a steel
> wall with a paper door, and that seems to make some sense.

It makes sense - to them.  To me, it doesn't make sense to follow that
path because we simply don't know enough to reliably make that balanced
equation, and that's even before bringing in time.  See DJB's post on
that, which seems to slam all and sundry on poor thinking, but is dotted
with helpful conclusions like [0]:

      To summarize, here's what's actually known
      about the per-key cost of breaking RSA keys:
      "It's complicated."

> Keep all
> your parts in balance. Another overlooked lesson from Logjam was that
> one should never have allowed the use of DH primes that were "too
> weak" for the chosen symmetric system in the first place -- selecting
> a strong symmetric cipher should force the use of an equivalently
> strong DH or EDH group. Of course, using DH primes that are much
> stronger than the symmetric system in use doesn't help much
> either. The attacker will go after the weakest point regardless. You
> want all the parts balanced.
>
> So, how does one automatically upgrade not only the strength of the
> asymmetric subsystem but also the symmetric ciphers and hashes in use?

Increase the rounds?  Most symmetrics have some sense of that already.
Chacha has it built in as 8, 12, 20, and the AES candidate discussion
had long and sometimes warm arguments about the effect of more rounds.

iang

[0] http://blog.cr.yp.to/20151120-batchattacks.html
Which is a *must read* for this mailing list.