[Cryptography] Nvidia- one Tflop could change the rules quicker than quantum...

Tom Mitchell mitch at niftyegg.com
Sat Nov 14 20:50:37 EST 2015

On Sat, Nov 14, 2015 at 5:18 PM, Watson Ladd <watsonbladd at gmail.com> wrote:

> Really?
>
> Let's consider the amount of work required to compute a discrete log
> in a group of size 2^256 with only the inversion automorphism
> efficiently computable.

True, yet these little cards are the same price of a processor for a socket
not the system.   Nearly the same change in power.

Once connected in a network -- point to point secure link computation
may be so quick that latency is less impacted.

Each time I see something like this I dust off my copy
of Programming Pearls and wonder what algorithm insight
the new hardware enables.

--
  T o m    M i t c h e l l