[Cryptography] Bear Bonds - a new crytpocurrency

Arnold Reinhold agr at me.com
Sat Nov 14 17:38:57 EST 2015

On Thu, 12 Nov 2015  allen at bearbonds.org <mailto:allen at bearbonds.org> wrote:

> In order to achieve acceptable speeds, Bear Bonds uses a novel hash
> algorithm that involves three knapsacks and a Diophantine polynomial
> all computed in the prime field.  The details are given in the "Bear
> Bonds Transaction Protocol" paper that can be found on our website at
> https://www.bearbonds.org/ <https://www.bearbonds.org/> (at the bottom of the "Technology" tab).
> We also have a pre-release version of our software that can be found
> under the "Software" tab (binaries only--the source code has not yet
> been released but we would be willing to provide it for research or
> security auditing purposes).
>
> The time required to create a proof on a midrange laptop is roughly 4
> seconds per input, with a modest memory requirement of 85 KB per input.

Why not include a well-tested algorithm, such as SHA-512, in the hash chain? And assuming one would trust a novel hash algorithm before years of analysis have taken place, why is "a modest memory requirement of 85 KB per input” a good thing? It seems to me such a tiny memory retirement quickly leads to control of mining by the custom chip crowd.

Arnold Reinhold