[Cryptography] Bear Bonds - a new crytpocurrency

allen at bearbonds.org allen at bearbonds.org
Thu Nov 12 14:41:34 EST 2015

Greetings,

I'm involved in a project to create a new cryptocurrency called Bear
Bonds(TM).

One of the notable cryptographic features of Bear Bonds is that is
uses zero knowledge proofs to achieve privacy.  It uses a construction
similar to that proposed by Ben-Sasson, et. al., in [BCTV14a] with the
soundness correction proposed by Parno in [P15].  This is also similar
to the construction proposed for [Zerocash] that never came to
fruition (I believe because of its impractical processor time and
memory requirements).

In order to achieve acceptable speeds, Bear Bonds uses a novel hash
algorithm that involves three knapsacks and a Diophantine polynomial
all computed in the prime field.  The details are given in the "Bear
Bonds Transaction Protocol" paper that can be found on our website at
https://www.bearbonds.org/ (at the bottom of the "Technology" tab).
We also have a pre-release version of our software that can be found
under the "Software" tab (binaries only--the source code has not yet
been released but we would be willing to provide it for research or
security auditing purposes).

The time required to create a proof on a midrange laptop is roughly 4
seconds per input, with a modest memory requirement of 85 KB per input.

We of course welcome comments and questions.

Thank you,

Allen

[BCTV14a] Succinct Non-Interactive Zero Knowledge for a von Neumann
Architecture, Eli Ben-Sasson, Alessandro Chiesa, Eran Tromer, Madars Virza,
http://eprint.iacr.org/2013/879

[P15] A Note on the Unsoundness of vnTinyRAM's SNARK, Bryan Parno,
https://eprint.iacr.org/2015/437

[Zerocash] Zerocash: Decentralized Anonymous Payments from Bitcoin, Eli Ben-
Sasson, Alessandro Chiesa, Christina Garman, Matthew Green, Ian Miers,
Eran Tromer,
Madars Virza,
http://zerocash-project.org/media/pdf/zerocash-extended-20140518.pdf