[Cryptography] NIST Workshop on Elliptic Curve Cryptography Standards

Tom Mitchell mitch at niftyegg.com
Mon May 18 14:17:07 EDT 2015

On Sun, May 17, 2015 at 6:37 PM, Ryan Carboni <ryacko at gmail.com> wrote:

> >Is this world about hardware talking to hardware?  If so, why should the
> >software world care?

> Well, I see three worlds. I see the microcontroller software world (it
> seems unavoidable that people are going to be wearing $10 CPUs with the
> computational capacity of an eleven year old desktop and the security of
> Windows XP), the microcontroller hardware world, and the multi-hundred
> dollar CPU world.

We are there -- a cost breakdown of the Apple Watch makes that clear.
Raspberry Pi, and now the $9 Chip make this obvious in spades.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1598272670/chip-the-worlds-first-9-computer

We are naive to think of hardware talking to hardware as a special case.
There are no special cases in the context of security.

All of these machines communicate over the same links that everything else
uses.
This means that the smallest are in need of isolation and protection
as rich and strong as the largest systems.  As vectors to invade a network
they very much complicate things.

This machine to machine only mindset was the fundamental flaw
that Stuxnet was able to leverage.  Much the same is true in the notion
of storage -- fibre-channel was machine to machine and now
is gatewayed over the internet via FCoE (Fibre Channel over Ethernet).

Nearfield, ZigBee, 802.11abcdefg....xyz, infiniband, things are converging
for good
or bad because the complexity of alternatives keeps getting in the way.

IPv6 opens a cascade of new ...   and is likely the only way the internet
of things will
be able to communicate in a year or two.

--
  T o m    M i t c h e l l