[Cryptography] NIST Workshop on Elliptic Curve Cryptography Standards

Adrian McCullagh amccullagh at live.com
Tue May 19 17:48:41 EDT 2015

<If I remember correctly the one considered in the DES competition
<had a 64-bit key.  But I may be confused here.

 <                               Bear

If my memory serves me correct, the Lucifer cipher was developed by IBM initially as a 128 bit cipher but was later reduced by IBM itself to 64 bit.  I think this was for speed only but I could be mistaken on this.  Further, I think the reason for the further reduction to 56 bit was for the introduction of a parity correction.

I am unaware of the NSA being involved in any of this.  My understanding was that the NSA was involved in adjusting the S-Box structure.  Further the NSA refused to say why they made the adjustments;  that is they never justified why they did what they did.

Dr Adrian McCullagh
Ph.D., LL.B. (Hons), B. App. Sc.(Computing)
Lawyer
Mobile: +61401 646 486
SKYPE: admac57
email: amccullagh at live.com.au
email: ajmccullagh57 at gmail.com

The contents of this email are confidential between the sender and the intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient then no rights are granted to you because of this error and as such you are requested to promptly inform the sender of the error and to promptly destroy all copies of the email in your power, possession or control. The sender reserves all rights concerning this email and its contents including any privilege, copyright and/or confidentiality associated with this email.