[Cryptography] Forget the Enigma Code; embrace the Hammurabi Code

ianG iang at iang.org
Thu Jun 4 09:16:58 EDT 2015

On 4/06/2015 01:39 am, Bill Frantz wrote:
> On 5/30/15 at 6:38 AM, iang at iang.org (ianG) wrote:
>
>> American health care - the best in the world but also many times more
>> expensive and out of reach of most.
>
> It's hard to call US health care the best in the world facing the fact
> that the average US lifespan is 10 years shorter than the best (Monaco).
> We are 45th in the world in life expectancy, just behind Cuba and well
> behind much of western Europe.
>
> All data from The Economist, Pocket World in Figures 2015.

It's hard to have a debate of any value based on country statistics.

But yes, I agree that my claim was not only sarcastic ("out of reach" is
the best?) and also literary licence :)

Dragging this back to crypto.  Let's say that you are liable for your
posted copy of e-rights.  Or Satoshi was liable for his earlier bitcoin
code.  Or, DJB is liable for his snuffle.

In the market for open use, wide-purpose, published software, the
developer cannot be aware of the future use of the software.  So he is
unable to charge a price that reflects liability.

In such a market, the only price and liability that clears is zero.
There is a clear stability in the market for open software where zero
liability meets zero price.

"You can use this software for free but you suspend the Hammurabi clause."

When however we move away from that zero cross, the conditions become
murkier.  If Hammurabi liability is applied for a contracted piece of
software and a price is paid, then a meeting of minds was reached.  In
which case it is entirely possible that both sides can be forced to
accept fitness of purpose, etc.  In which case, the price charged has to
rise to cover the liability.

So very quickly, I predict, charged software will price itself out of
the market, and only free/open software will remain.  Some would
consider this a good thing.  Bring it on?

iang