[Cryptography] Forget the Enigma Code; embrace the Hammurabi Code

Lodewijk andré de la porte l at odewijk.nl
Tue Jun 9 08:02:45 EDT 2015

> Now, the obvious problem here is this:  it will add terrific costs to the
> process.  Programming will now look like American health care - the best in
> the world but also many times more expensive and out of reach of most.  So
> innovation will come to a great screaming halt, the economy will stall and
> all the fun guys will migrate to the countries that aren't beaten up in
> secret treaty negotiations.

Innovation will move to produce better methods of validating - before
moving on to produce simply better software.

The basic analogy is there: developers cut corners and end users suffer.

Every computer I've ever owned has had massive software issues. Partially
my own fault, of course: I tend to use software with modern features,
compatibility with modern hardware, etc. Mostly I feel like my hands are
tied here: the commons demand cooperation by incentive.

I can't go off and use plain text when everyone's using docx, same for
gopher and html. I also just like playing videogames - they're absolutely
terrible at compatibility. I'm happy they're getting to support Linux - but
really I'd like to use OpenBSD. And, actually, OpenBSD has had issues too,
despite their (some would say extreme) approach to security.

I'm not sure if the commons don't care about security and reliability. I AM
sure they cannot get it anywhere, not reasonably.