[Cryptography] Sony to Offer ‘Premium Sound’ Memory Card

RB aoz.syn at gmail.com
Sat Feb 21 22:01:34 EST 2015

On Sat, Feb 21, 2015 at 5:08 PM, Joseph Ashwood <ashwood at msn.com> wrote:
> On the consumer side it is certainly a waste of money, but on the recording
> side it may not be. You would be amazed at some of the lengths that are gone
> through to get the cleanest possible recording. A single degree change in
> temperature can actually change the recording. Radio interference is a big
> source. But also variations in power consumption can be a headache. The card
> at least claims to address both.

As a FOH engineer, I think you over-estimate the "noise" such a minor
piece of a recording system as the solid-state flash makes.  Although
I have heard some hiss from solid-state devices, the vast majority of
their emissions and (and major harmonics) are well above 22kHz.

> Just to give you an idea how far we sometimes have to go. I have actually
<snip long explanation of classic poor ground issues>
> the amplifier. I would gladly have paid the $160 for this card on that day,
> might have been able to eliminate half the setup.

I sincerly doubt a change of microSD card would have cured your
obvious grounding issues.  Noise is great for entropy and poor for
recording, but as a [hopefully] fellow professional, I again think
you're overestimating how much audible noise reduction one would get
by replacing a normal microSD with this particular one.  That said,
your depseration that day was likely (regrettably) the precise market
this product is aimed at.